Tuesday, June 13, 2017

An Ounce of Logistics is worth a Pound of Panic


13 June, 2017
Mosselbaai, South Africa


Traveling has a certain reputation for being an exhausting and potentially confusing experience, particularly when flying across multiple continents. The savvy (or, the experienced) traveler prepares for the potential host of problems part of air transport. Unfortunately, this presents an excellent opportunity for unpredicted problems, generally for a sleep deprived individual to solve in rapid succession.

I only had a single mishap on this trip, which I shall understand to mean that Ive finally figured out how to travel internationally, or at some point this will all blow up in my face.

Travel via airplane can be a leisurely, relaxing experience, to an exotic location, with good food, drinks, and rest. Unless, one of these things comes into play:



1)    Flying economy

2)    Flying with more than the allotted amount of luggage,

3)    Flying with expensive or delicate equipment

4)    Flying as a student, researcher, or similar capacity, in which case all of the above may apply.



Planning a trip comes in stages. For this trip, I was committed almost by the end of our 2016 field season (i.e. the time we spend on site, excavating/in lab). My search for a ticket was delayed, because I still had to make a decision on grad school. After I made a decision, I could then look at the logistics of early arrival.

            One of the benefits of this trip is the shorter duration, and (mostly) singular destination. Im starting classes in August, which curtails any possibility of wandering off to Southeast Asia or east Africa again. Theoretically, this should result in my needing/packing less luggage, right?

            Actually, I think it ended up about the same (in terms of bulk). I just became smarter about how I packed it. Occasionally, Ive taken my backpacking backpack, but this doesnt have a lot of space and it difficult to live out of (I need to unpack it to find things). I have also taken my duffel bag around the world, but even its small-ish space becomes heavy when full of books. So I have stuck upon an ingenious method, used by global travelers: I purchased a rolling suitcase.

            And borrowed my dads rolling duffel bag, and then borrowed another one from my sister. Armed with these, I was ready to begin sorting through piles of clothes and deciding what comes with.

            What did I do, throw everything in a pile to pack? Yeah, it all has to be packed for the move anyway!

            Last season, I limited myself to two books, reading another dozen off the kindle app. This year, I have 3 textbooks, 4 notebooks (full of notes), and at least 4 novels in addition to the ones on my kindle. I figure I can practice cramming for the semester during those insanely long flights.

            I also made the mistake last year bringing of minimal electronicswhich might not have been a problem, except that most of my duties required working with programs not supported by a tablet! Additionally, the power cordwhich cannot be purchased in South Africadied (this made uploading documents to graduate programs difficult). Oops. In retrospect, its not a great idea to put all your files on one hard drive. So, this year, I have brought laptop, tablet, phone, and extras of everything, including 3 earbuds, one pair of which has already given up the ghost.

            But I still had space left. At this point, my site director gave me several additional items, including the ranger, which is an extremely durable handheld computer, casually mentioning the cost. of this device 

            I immediately began planning how I could duck tape the backpack to me, preferably using a whole roll of tape. Security might be an issue, but it probably wouldnt be much worse sleeping with the bulky pack than airplane seats in the first place.

            Packed, ticket in hand, I was ready to navigate the world of airlines, security, and sleep deprived individuals. My biggest complication was an 18 hour layover in JFK airport, NYC. Last year, I had 12 hours in London, which meant I hung out at a museum. Which I could probably blame for my sleep deprived arrival in Cape Town and subsequent stress. Fortunately, when you travel as often as I do, you have friends in many places. This is one of the benefits of travel: meeting and getting to know so many different people.  I think, at the end of my life, I will be able to look back and see that my life was better because I know they existed, and know them, whether we met each other only for a moment, or become lifelong friends.

            At this point, Im arriving in South Africa for the fifth time. Last year was a season of mishaps, from mixing up my arrival dates (and having to repurchase a bus ticket from Cape Town to Mosselbaai), to messing up my visa, (and having to change my departing flight), and finally, leaving my backpack in the taxi. After a considerable amount of panic and some serious sleuthing skills on the part of the hostel staff, it was returned. In retrospect, all of these could have been avoided, by paying better attention to dates or where my belongings are.

            Of course, some things cant be predicted. I made it to cape town, was given a visa without a second glance, and took an Uber to the backpacker. I totally had this.right? However, after going to bed, my phone updated/reset or generally malfunctioned, ending up in a different time zone, and the alarm was no longer on Cape Town time. Its problematic to wake up for a 6am bus at 6:45. I checked out of my room, called a taxi. I even had cash on hand. Then I glanced at the clock on the dashboard, which read 7am. I was certainly to late for my bus, and had just missed the next (and, as far as I knew, the last round of buses for the day, at least until 6pm). My technological dilemma required me to try something new: purchasing a ticket at the counter instead of online. I had ask three different companies before I found one with a morning route (we are discouraged from taking the bus that arrives at midnight, for obvious reasons). In the end, I left Cape Town three hours after I was supposed to, travelled a slightly different route to my destination, and arrived only two hours after my original bus.

            I must say, Im fairly impressed by the potential to take a later bus, especially if me (and my phone) are recovering from jetlag. Ill remember that one.

            Its strange and exciting and familiar and disorienting to have returned. Its home in a lot of ways, but every time the place has changed. People have changed. Or maybe it's just my perception that is changing, as I learn more about them. Perhaps this is the best part of travel, diving deeper into the water after skimming the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment